Barcombe Football Club
Members of the Mid-Sussex Football League
Barcombe Football Club was founded in 1904 by Sir William Grantham, Member of Parliament and Judge, who resided at Barcombe Place. He also founded the Cricket and Stoolball Clubs.
The Club is run by an elected Committee and currently has 75 members, most with a Barcombe connection. We have three teams in the Mid-Sussex Football League, a First Team playing in division 2, a Second Team playing in division 8 and a Veterans side. To play adult football you have to attain the age of sixteen. To be a Veteran you have to be thirty-seven. Our youngest player is sixteen years of age and our oldest admits to being in his early fifties. New players are always welcome. We do not have a junior section but have associations with Ringmer and Chailey.
Prospects: Many of our players have played, or are playing for, the League representative side. Others have had trials for Lewes, Brighton and Hove Albion, or gone on to play at County League level.
Recent Honours: Since 1992 the Club has won Division 7, 6, 5 & 4 League titles, gained promotion as far as the Premier League, won the Malins cup, the Stratford Cup (three times), the Mowatt cup, Somerville Cup, and the Junior Charity Cup twice.
- Barcombe train from July onwards.
- Player membership is £40 per year and this includes registration costs, insurance and training fees.
- We do not seek to make a profit and In 2008/9 made just £11.
- Football is not cheap; kit can cost £500, a match ball £40 and a Referee charges £30+ per game.
- Our 2010/11 kit was kindly sponsored by the Royal Oak, Barcombe.
- Sponsorship is always welcome and there is a good publicity return.
Our home pitch is Barcombe Recreation Ground. Ideally we would like our own dedicated facility, so if you know anyone who is willing to sell or lease about one and a half acres of land with road access, please do get in touch.
Besides players, we currently have vacancies for Administrators, Coaches, and persons to train as First Aiders, Referees and Referees Assistants. If you volunteer we will ensure the appropriate training is provided.
We have a hectic social calendar and besides football, we also build public toilet blocks and feed orphans in Zambia; and until this year we have also overseen the Barcombe Fun Run, which has now devolved to the Project Zambia Committee.
Please do get in touch for further information — we would love you to join us.
- Tim Parsons, President: 01273 400601
- Rob Peck, Chairman: 01273 400587
- James Stewart, Secretary: 01273 400143
...or speak to any player.
You can follow our exploits at www.football.mitoo.co.uk